Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fear is the Mind-killer


"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Time flies when you're having fun, or at least that seems to be the general consensus. I am currently two shifts away from quitting my job and a mere sixteen days away from the start of my journey through space-time, the future and the fatherland. Lately I've been catching the occasional bout of fear of what's to come, but then again I dare anyone to stand where I am and not spend a single second worried about it. 

There are a number of things to be afraid of, like running out of money, getting murdered, regret for not planning enough, regret for planning too much. Not to mention the fear of what kind of lasting effects this whole thing could leave on my life: I'll be coming home unemployed and broke with a nice big gap in my employment to forever explain. But for as bad as those things can sound, there are also some pretty spectacular things that could happen too. Who knows? Maybe when I get back I'll find a dream job where being "well traveled" makes me even more qualified. And even if I fall victim to bad planning or budgeting, it's all a part of this wonderful learning process we call life.

Maybe I'm just reading too far into it. After all, it's only three months in Europe on a budget of like $4500...

Yep. I'm screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment